HUS has nationwide responsibility in Finland for the treatment and research of several demanding illnesses.
Specialist medical care with centralized nationwide duties is defined in the Government Decree on the organization and centralization of specialist medical care.
Areas for which we have centralized nationwide responsibility include the following:
- organ transplantations
- treatment of severe burns
- allogeneic bone marrow stem cell transplants
- invasive diagnostics of epilepsyand surgical treatment
- open-heart surgery for infants and
- other demanding pediatric cardiac surgery
- demanding invasive fetal testing and treatment
- cleft lip and palate patients,
- treatment planning and surgical treatment